Monday, July 28, 2008

Humility is so…humbling

Today, I was in the trendy, progressive, upscale area of the city known as the Central West End. There they are, with their uptight attitudes, expensive clothes, stylish haircuts, and big, gas-guzzling SUV’s (though everyone is also very environmentally-sensitive, of course. Hah.), and there’s me in tie-dye, a ponytail, and bad-driving skills. Beware, my shiny vehicle. The weirdo housewife is careering toward us!

I don’t realize just how much pride I have until I am in humiliating situations like this (you know, trying to parallel park my mini-van while everyone is turning their nose up at me). Logically, it is obvious that if I’m embarrassed, it’s because I have Pride. If I am truly humble, without the need for others’ approval or admiration, than it doesn’t matter if I can’t parallel park worth a damn. Or that I sometimes go out looking scruffy. Or that I have a preschooler (I forgot to mention that the denizens of the Central West End also Disapprove of Breeding).

And so I revel in these moments of extreme humiliation. The shedding of pride is a horribly painful process, and one which I expect will not be complete until the next world, but think of the freedom that comes with it…the ability to do what I need to do, what I want to do, how I want to do it, without continually living with the fear of opinions. If I am already a laughingstock, what else is there to lose? Or, as Salvador Dali so eloquently stated it, ‘The difference between myself and a madman is that I am not mad.’ And even better, ‘God resists the proud, but is near to those who are humble in heart.’

2 comments:

Travels said...

#1 Come on, are you honestly surprised to find out that you are raising rebels?

#2 I found out that I was a tough female one sad day when I was sick and we were watching (despised by you) TV show featuring a woman whose name starts with "O." They were comparing black parenting to white parenting. Gwyneth, aged 5, wandered in and, after listening for a few minutes, said, "You a BLACK Mama." (Neighborhood accent, please).

#3 As a person who has struggled not to feel humiliated when my children would go for overnights (to their rich politically correct friends' homes) with holes in the toes of their PJ's, rips in their hand me down tee shirts, and mud stained shoes, I would like to encourage you. Your kids are getting such a wonderful and rich childhood. You and they will forget all that stupid stuff and remember the wealth; I promise. K from the deep South

P.S. Another item to add to your Urban Neighborhood list: "When you slow down or stop at every intersection to look both ways whether you have the right of way or not."

Phvern said...

Thank you Kathleen! I will remember all that. And heck, I watch anime; who am I to complain about the TV goddess of our age?!

I will add your ghetto observation to my list...