Thursday, October 23, 2008

extra caffeine, anyone?

Well, the unthinkable has happened. I've cut back on my coffee.  For the last week, I've only been drinking one cup in the morning and one in the early afternoon (my previous quota was exactly twice that amount). 
The reason for this traitorous behavior is that I have a thyroid condition, suspected for a long time and finally confirmed. The modern American medical treatment for this condition is daily hormone replacement for the rest of my life. I'm really not into that. I think it is a bad idea in general that our medical practice basically consists of giving people a pill for every symptom. I prefer trying to fix the actual problem. 
Therefore, I'm cutting back on my caffeine, increasing the amount of water I drink, trying to eat more vegetables and trying to exercise every day. The purpose of all that is to help my body better process nutrients and thereby help my thyroid function better. I don't know if it's actually working yet, but I have to admit that I feel healthier overall and seem to be losing a little bit of weight. 
Is it worth sacrificing some of my daily caffeine dosage? Not really. 

3 comments:

2WeeMonsters said...

oooh. ouch. I odn't know how much I could give up my caffeine.

if you ever want to ride bikes/walk either on the riverfront trail or in TG park, call me up! I try to get something in every day (but it's usually three times a week)!

On a fools hope said...

ouch indeed.

On a fools hope said...

I've heard a lot og good about sonlight. We decided to go the Charlote Mason route which I love but it is definately a lesson in organisation-something I have never been good at.For Math I went with "Making Math Meaningful" which I like though I am unsure if I'll stick with it next year-it's a bit repetative which equals boredom for Hattie.