Friday, June 26, 2009

Another unschooling victory

I was feeling disappointed this morning that my children don't share my exuberance for gardening. People ask, "Do the children help you with the garden?" and I have to be like... well... yes, but often reluctantly, and usually for only a short period of time.  But I quickly came to my own defense in this mental conversation I was having: we garden a lot. I just can't expect my children to jump up and down with enthusiasm when I'm asking them to pull weeds in 98 degree weather. In fact, I can't expect them to jump at all, when it's an exertion just to breathe.

And... the reality is, my kids also now know a lot about raising their own food. We have had very little formal instruction time, but simply being at the garden, helping the other gardeners (always much more interesting than helping mom), watching other gardeners, and just experiencing the daily life of a garden has taught them more than I could ever do from a textbook or even an enriched classroom environment. They have seen the process of transforming sad-looking soil into lushly growing, healthy, yummy food. Perhaps they couldn't pass a written test (especially if perfect spelling were required) but I am confident that any one of them would be able to create their own garden and help others do the same. And, well, they have: Stuart has a watermelon patch in one of the community beds, Anastasia has a 'secret' (weed) garden here at home, plus numerous cacti. 

Learning by doing... it's the way to go!

2 comments:

On a fools hope said...

I agree there is no experiance like hands on experiance and as for spelling....well we all know where I fall:)

Travels said...

If it's any encouragement, all three of mine swore up and down that they HATED gardening and would NEVER do it again when they were in control of their lives. It was disheartening, but... guess what? One avid gardener, one who has put in her first garden, and the last one who talks longingly of the day when he will garden (low maintenance with no work!)... Utter and complete victory looms! So don't give up - just ignore the grousing and plow on.