Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Living Well in a World of Oppression

A CAUTIONARY TALE

As a working-class American, I have to face the fact that while I whine about not having enough grocery money to buy beer, my brothers and sisters across the world are literally starving to death.

How do we respond to the overwhelming despair in the world around us? Do we harden our hearts, change the channel, and order pizza? Or (even worse) do we watch the movie about the horrors of living in Africa and then demand why our government isn’t doing more (WTF?)??

As an individual, I have had to come to the realization that I am not the Messiah- I know, that came as a shock to me too. I cannot save the world. I cannot even save one person. Heck, I can’t even save myself. Does this mean I do nothing? No. I can help those around me (to the best of my ability) and I can look for ways to ease the suffering I see. I can love my family and be faithful in taking care of them. Globally, I can help at least a few people- and help those who help them, with my finances, my time, and my prayers.

Because even though I am not the Messiah, I do know the Messiah. I know the one who can truly make a difference, more than any person or government or brilliant idea. And I know that he listens to prayers- even secular scientists have to admit that prayer is effective (they just don’t know why). So rather than sitting here feeling guilty over my prosperity, or complaining that my government isn’t doing enough, or working myself to exhaustion to fight all the evil around me, I do the work God has given me- and I pray for the Sudanese. And the drug dealers around the corner. And the little girls in brothels across the world. And the Mexican immigrants. And on and on and on…

No comments: