Saturday, November 29, 2008

diversity?

Me and some of the youth group girls went to see Twilight last night. You know, the teen flick based on the teen vampire fantasy book of the same name. It was a teen flick. That's all I'm going to say about that. Yes, it stuck pretty close to the book, so...

One thing struck me, though, as I watched the fictional characters run around the small Northwestern town of Forks. They were an amazingly diverse group of people. Asians, blacks, whites, and of course native americans (which actually makes sense) mingled freely and comfortably. But what was equally amazing is that apparently, everyone- literally EVERYONE- in the town was also skinny. I was impressed. I didn't think Americans looked like that. I thought, you know, we were a bit more diverse in the waistline.

And we wonder why two-thirds of college girls suffer from eating disorders...

3 comments:

On a fools hope said...

Wow 2/3's? I knew it was high but hadn't a clue it was that high. I have yet to see Twilight, though I hear raving reviews. I also have not read the book, maybe soon.

Phvern said...

That's the statistic I've heard....but you know what Mark Twain said about statistics: 'There are lies, damn and lies, and statistics'.

Phvern said...

that's 'damn lies,' not 'damn and lies'