Thursday, October 11, 2007

ghetto housewife

Some have asked “Why ghetto housewife?”

Ok, no one has asked, but my husband has said I should explain it. I try to listen to my husband’s advice. I’m not going to say any more about that particular topic.

1. I am a housewife, not a househusband, not a midwife, not a fishwife. Hence the part about ‘housewife’.

2. I live in the ghetto. Ok, ok, not hardcore ghetto, not ‘machine gun fire every night’ ghetto, not ‘murder on every street corner’ ghetto, but recovering, trendy ghetto. Hence the ‘ghetto’ adjective.

Only we could move into a ghetto which immediately transforms into a hip place to live. Oh, we still have murders. We still have used hypodermic needles strewn across the sidewalk. We still have some crumbling old houses. But it’s all rapidly changing. Every where I walk I see signs of new construction and rehab. Yes, it’s a good thing, and I’m happy for it. But it is very surreal. We just wanted a big house that we could fix up to our liking in a community that we knew and enjoyed. Now, there are tours frequently circling the streets, made up of yuppies with sweaters tied around their necks and wine glasses in their hands, and property values are soaring. Fashionable housing magazines from other big cities talk about our area and encourage progressive young urbanites to check us out. We are no longer the ghetto….but “Previously blighted inner-city housewife” is just too long of a title. So…ghetto housewife it is.

2 comments:

city orchard said...

Dear Phvern,
Don't you have anything better to do? I was wondering when you're going to sell and if you decide to stay will the children create and manage a wine garden in your backyard?
Betcha I was the last person you'd expect to be first-responder to your blog! Ha! Mary

Phvern said...

I have about fifty better things to do...and when I finish those, they'll be another fifty waiting for me. I think one reason i have gotten sick several times recently is that I don't give myself enough time to rest. does this count?

The children hope never to move, and have plans for how to use this house as a business (bookstore, coffeehouse, automotive repair). But who knows what God has planned! Seriously, we'll prob. have to move closer to David's parents someday. Hopefully we can bring them into the city area, or at least Mapelwood or a place like that, but if necessary I would sacrifice myself and move to the burbs...eek!

thanks for checking my site out Mary!