Thursday, January 3, 2008

Adios, SuperMother. Hola, SlackerMom!

I’ve always felt guilty for taking breaks during the day. I think a part of me felt that I needed to ‘prove’ to all those people out there that a stay-at-home mom worked hard. I wouldn’t allow myself one second to goof off or relax. Needless to say, I was exhausted (and cranky) by the end of the day.

I know that there are moms (and dads) who are slackers, moaning and complaining that the housework conflicts with their soap opera schedule and making their spouse support them and do all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. But I think most of us parents fall on the other end of the spectrum- trying to get everything ‘done’ at the expense of our sanity.

Balance, people, balance.

My workday starts at 5:30 a.m. and usually doesn’t end until 8 p.m., and the time I take to read my bible, surf the web or play Atari is not even truly restful, as I always have to be available for the various ‘emergencies’ that inevitably occur as soon as I sit down. So I no longer feel the need to be SuperMother and vindicate housewifery across the globe- at this point, survival will be enough of an accomplishment!

3 comments:

dyount said...

my mother told me yesterday I could thank God for a messy house because that meant he had gifted me with children to love...how's that for taking pressure off to clean and "keep order"

On a fools hope said...

Here here! Or is it Hear Hear?

Jenny Wren said...

Friend of the Seiberts! OOHH NOOO! Just kiddin. Thanks for your comment on the blog. Here's to balance in the new year!