Tuesday, January 15, 2008

one of those days...

It’s been one of those days where I feel sorely tempted to enroll all the children in school (or preschool, in India’s case) and go out and get a job. Oh, nothing too bad has happened- nothing broken, no one injured- just the usual struggles of getting everyone to pay attention, dealing with all the small squabbles, and wrangling with a three-year old.

I guess this is where ‘commitment’ really means something. It’s easy to be committed to homeschooling when the kids all are interested and well-behaved and brilliant (those days are golden and few and far between!) But these are the days where I really have to stop myself and say, “Remember why I’m doing this.”

Hmm…why am I doing this?

Well, I love my kids. Duh, right? I’m not suggesting that only homeschooling families love their kids, but for me, I homeschool because I love my kids. I think it is the best way for them to grow up as whole people, without facing the unnecessary pressures and confusion that accompanies almost every school situation. I think homeschooling allows the children to experience a broader slice of life than if they were in a manufactured school environment (no matter how well-manufactured that environment might be.) Of course, I am biased, being a bit anti-establishment and very pro-uniqueness, if that makes sense. So I struggle through these days, with much grace from God, and remember (as Mr. Wyllie pointed out just last evening) that thankfully, I know there are better days ahead!

1 comment:

On a fools hope said...

I had one of those days homeschooling today- i felt like banging my head against a brick wall would have been more productive...better days ahead, ill jusr keep repeating that to myslef.