Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Maybe if Someone offered me a Million Dollars!

It’s my afternoon coffee break time. The kids are doing reading and art, which is self-supervising, so I have time to relax for a few minutes.

So, this ‘facebook’ phenomenon… what can I say? It’s like high school all over again- popularity contests (who has the most friends? and are those really friends? Does any American teen really know what a friend is? Certainly not someone you merely add to a long list of other acquaintances on your on-line social networking site!), cliques, (aka ‘groups’), pointless conversations, rudeness, and, worst of all, a bunch of adults pretending they are ‘with it’ because they, too, are on facebook.

How lame.

Despite much pressure put on me by various and sundry people to sign-up, I refuse to participate. It’s just another fad that everyone will look back on in twenty years and say “Oh, I remember facebook! We thought it was so cool! Hah, were we stupid or what?” Except for me. I will be wallowing in my superiority, gloating that I never fell for the scam, that I remained aloof from the whole social networking thing and proved my cool-ness by rising above such tripe. Never, in a million years, will I sink to such middle-class American, mainstream, self-centered twaddle.

So, um, is it fun?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it is, it is indeed

Pete, Ashley, and Nathan Watson said...

Pardon me if I find a little irony here. Blogging about disdain for an internet fad? Is that something like a librarian yelling "Quiet!"?

Pete, Ashley, and Nathan Watson said...

Veronica, I love your blog! Your writing style is so appealing to me. Pete has enjoyed reconnecting with high school friends on facebook. But the whole thing makes me nervous bc I can't imagine allowing myself to feel the way I did in high school again. Blech. -Ashley Watson

On a fools hope said...

I actually did face book for a whole one week and left for the ver resaons stated above. Mspace is much the same way and honestly I have been toing with dropping it. Everones trying to be "somebody" and when the're not the are posting lame bullitens (don't get me worng I enjoy the stupid quizzes because I'm a geek). Ha, i used the word lame. Life has tooooooo many clicks to waste time entertaining another one. So kudos or cheers to this blog.

Ron Obvious said...

I wonder if it is as much fun as writing this blog?

The most interesting aspect of the Facebook/Myspace matter is not the hyperbole the kids might use but the amount of transparency I see on their pages. The youth group kids who are on it have some things there that make me wonder what their Christian parents think of it, and equally make me wonder what they've been discipled all these years at home. It's rather telling as a church community how we fail, where we need repentence and what we need prayer for.