Tuesday, February 24, 2009

an unpleasant incident

Really I should blogging about our chickens.

We have chickens. Two died, three survived, one may be beheaded (if she turns out to be a boy)...

There.

What I'm really going to blog about is an unpleasant shopping experience.  I went to Sam's yesterday and picked up just a couple things (an oddity in life; Sam's is usual an expensive endeavor) and was waved into the 'customer service' area because of long lines at the checkouts. A few seconds later I was rung up and preparing to pay. I handed the assistant two bills- $100 and $1, and then started searching for some change (never a fun prospect).  Finally I found a quarter, and then the woman waiting on me asked for a dollar. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Me: I gave you a dollar.

Her: No you didn't.

Me: Yes, I did.

Her: It's just a dollar. Would I try to rip you off for a dollar? Would I risk my job for a dollar? It's just a dollar ma'am.

Me: You're right, it's not a big deal (hands her another dollar). But I did give it to you.

Her: No, you didn't.  It's just a dollar, I wouldn't take a dollar.

Me: Fine, it's just a dollar, not a big deal- but I gave it to you. (as I clear my stuff from the counter)

We both see the dollar on the countertop.

Her (as she picks up the phone that wasn't ringing): See, there's the dollar. You didn't give it to me.

Me:(seriously pissed by now) What's your name?

Her: (no response, pretending to talk on the phone)

Me: What's your name?!

Her: (gives name reluctantly) It's just a dollar, ma'am!

Me: You're right, it's just a dollar, but you didn't have to argue with me about it! (walk off)

So I made the obligatory call today and explained the situation to the manager, who of course immediately knew the employee and said this was a repeated issue. Which made me feel even worse, because she'll probably lose her job. Over a dollar.

And it was just a dollar. But that wasn't the problem. Nor was the problem that 'the customer is always right' or that I want my boots licked. I am glad I called the manager, despite the fact that it was uncomfortable and I didn't want to get somebody fired over the dollar. Because I may not always be right, but I am always a human, and I believe it is not unreasonable to ask that workers actually treat me with a measure of respect. That they don't act like it's an enormous inconvenience to wait on me. That, perhaps, they admit that they might be wrong, or at least kindly inform me that I was wrong.  

Overall, I think I would rather deal with chickens.


5 comments:

On a fools hope said...

bring on the chickens.....

Red Bridges Home said...

I'd rather deal with animals too. Sorry about the Sams deal. We've got an entire generation coming up who does not know what customer service is. You did the right thing by calling. I'm trying to teach my kids what service with a smile means and what attitudes help you keep jobs and which ones cost you jobs. I hope she learns from it. Probably not, but you did the right thing.

Veronica Holden said...

Unfortunately, I'm sure she walked away with 'that woman is a bitch' and then will drag racial issues into, etc, rather than admitting that she has a serious attitude problem which is obvious since I'm not the only one who has complained. Sigh. You're right. The best thing to do is teach our own kids.

dyount said...

Now here something from a person suspicious of motives since she has been poisoned by 24 years of social work experience. It sounds like she is trying to pocket extra money. Remember the worst problems with theft are the employees.

Veronica Holden said...

Yea, I was thinking the same thing DeAnn, because she was very quick to assume I was accusing her of theft. I figure- $1 /day per customer can add up fast!