Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Am I really that weird?

This morning we attended a library class geared towards homeschoolers. There were a few dozen of us there, and it was a good time. The kids got to interact with some other kids, we did some fun math games, and of course checked out about a million books. There was only one note of discord during the experience: for the most part, the other moms did not talk to me. And yes, I tried to talk to them. Usually I received short replies; in one instance, a hostile, silent glare.

I usually don’t complain about this kind of thing, and I’m really not complaining now. It actually doesn’t bother me- I have an overabundance of self-confidence and generally bite my thumb at anyone who slights me. But there are a couple things about this particular occasion that strike me as worthy of comment.

First, these are primarily conservative Christian women. I am a conservative Christian woman as well- in some ways. In other ways, obviously, I am very different from most people who fit that category. (I mean, are purple tights really that weird? Apparently so. I had no idea…) So, my question is, ahem, what about Christ’s love for the outcast? Shouldn’t we encircle those who are different than us, showing how God loves them, trying to bring them into the fold? From the reaction I received this morning, I would have to assume that odd people are not welcome in the kingdom of God, and brightly colored shawls are sinful. Hmmm....

Second, the librarians are very friendly and I had several good discussions with them. This proves my long-held theory that librarians in general are strange people and can associate freely with other strange people- which now means me.

2 comments:

On a fools hope said...

I tooo get the silent treatment, it can be rather discouraging. The last group I tried looked at me like I was nuts andwhen the little boy I was watching hit his head I had this nosey mom treat me like i didn't know how to take care of it. I finally told her thankyou but I have been through this before an I knwo how to take care of it. I felt bad but it was either that or spit at her. So yes apparently we are that weird.

Jules said...

Wahoo, I say more power to yah. I too have very traditional Christian values. And bright pink hair. People assume they cant go together, and those people give homeschoolers a bad name.